Advocacy and Policy Priorities 2022
The Council’s focus is global nutrition. The Council’s objectives are:
- To inspire increased support for nutrition from U.S. political leadership through high-level engagement.
- To advance civil society advocacy, commitment, and support for nutrition as a foundational part of all development success.
The Council’s first priority is advocacy for Nourish the Future and through advocacy for the policy change elements it contains, some of which are also included in the Global Malnutrition Prevention and Treatment Act. These include:
- Implement a coordinated global nutrition initiative across the U.S. government that includes focus on health systems, food systems, and innovation.
- Create a new, high-level interagency position reporting to the USAID Administrator to oversee implementation and coordination.
- Mobilize additional resources in high-burden countries.
- Strengthen efforts to improve maternal and adolescent nutrition, including gender-specific and age-related nutrition needs of adolescent girls.
- Launch and publicize a U.S. Global Nutrition Coordination Plan 2.0.
- Strengthen US leadership on global food systems that incorporate nutrition and gender transformative approaches.
We will also advocate for the U.S. to:
- Pledge $1 billion to global nutrition annually over five years.
- Commit to increased transparency around nutrition funding.
- Strengthen systems that are critical for improving nutritional status, such as health care, agriculture, and food systems.